View Single Post
Old 05-04-20, 09:22 PM   #907
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Man View Post
I'm playing FOTRS latest version. At position 120.22E 025.13N on 3 April 1944 at 1226 I was cruising on the surface when I got a radar detection. An aircraft was approaching from the west heading east. It was at long range and I had plenty of time so went to periscope depth and while I was there I decided to do a sound sweep while I waited for the aeroplane to clear off. When I did the sweep I heard a torpedo to the west. I tracked it past me to the north and off to the east. I came to radar depth and the torpedo sound coralated with the aeroplane on radar. A little later an aeroplane came in from the east heading west and the same thing happened, I could hear the aeroplane on the hydrophones and it sounded like a torpedo. Has anyone had this before?
Near as we can tell, this is a game anomaly. A torpedo plane does not really have a torpedo to drop, of course - it is just simulated. I am wondering if the "loadout" of the torpedo on the plane is what is making the sound, after the actual torpedo is spawned by the drop?... You might be lucky to be alive if a torpedo was dropped at you by a plane. That means that they were close enough to track and target you, and shoot a torpedo with reasonable confidence in a strike... but yes, that phenomenon does occur. The plane does its drop, the torpedo does its run, and then the plane takes the torpedo back I guess - even though the sound is in the "water", and the plane is in the "air"...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote