View Single Post
Old 08-09-16, 04:12 AM   #90
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
From the side i posted, eh? Well i read it, but i still thought it was something else. But it isn't
I thought there was a kind of rectangular "box" over both oculars, seems i looked at the wrong side
Thanks for posting this once more, so Einar and Oscar will finally know what it is for.

Does Dan "Elanaiba" read this, too? I am trying to find out where the switches for the clutches of the electric engines are, we both did not find it. But we will.

German boats were quite simple and not Diesel-electric, like the US ones.
So the Diesels had to be installed inline with the propshafts, not scattered all over the place and just feeding the batteries, driving the boat.

Basically it is like with all old "Tauchboote" with Diesel propulsion, you use the Diesel engines for running surfaced, and the electric ones for running submerged. You charge the batteries with the Diesels.
In the 'normal' german boats the electric engines also served as generators, so you did not need additional dynamoes or alternators (not in the IXd1/2/42 and XXI/XXIII types though, they were already different).

You could also use all kinds of combinations. The whole layout is quite simple, but versatile and practical, there are clutches to use and combine all components independently:

- You could run the Diesels alone, coupled straight through the propshafts for moving the boat surfaced (or submerged with a snorkel)
- ^ coupling the electric engines in generator mode to the propshafts driven by the Diesels, thus charging the batteries but reducing overall speed a bit
- Run both Diesels and couple the electric engines on the propshafts driving them directly together with the Diesels, adding a few knots to overall speed, but draining the batteries fast
- Uncouple the rear propshafts with the propellers, switch electric engines to generator mode and couple them to the parts of the propshafts driven by the Diesels (dead in the water then)
- Use one Diesel to drive the boat and the other for charging
- Use one Diesel for running, while maintining/repairing the other Diesel, this way you can either:
a) charge the batteries by driving the electric engines in generator mode coupled to the propshaft driven by the one Diesel
b) charge the batteries by coupling the electric engine in generator mode, of the stopped Diesel side, to the moving propshaft, driven by the propeller moving through the water, Diesel clutch on this side is then uncoupled
or both a) and b)

Does that make sense? Anyway we were looking where all the switches and clutches were

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote