View Single Post
Old 12-06-14, 07:22 AM   #26
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango589 View Post
I've just had a strange experience. Playing as the USSR, I was tasked with destroying an enemy ship in a 6 ship battle group. This turned out to be USSR as well. Just to see what would happen, I sunk 4 of the 6 ships, including the target. The remaining ships DC'd me to oblivion, which I expected. I jumped out of the game, used the Mission Completer, restarted back in Odedssa port and was immediately marmalised by a US Task Force right outside the port! Needless to say, that was the end of me. None of the USSR patrol aircraft lent a hand, neither did any fellow whips in the area. What could cause this anomaly in the first place?
That's very unusual. There are several checks to ensure you are only given orders to engage ships or groups which are hostile to your nation - I don't know how that mission could have been given. Was the target definitely a USSR ship, and did you get a 'mission complete' message when you sank it? Or could there have been an undetected US submarine nearby which was the actual target? I've never seen anything like that happen in my testing.

Edit: Was a nuclear war in progress? Sometimes nations will declare war on themselves when the nukes start flying, so that could explain why you were ordered to sink your own ships.

The second one is a combination of bad luck and not-yet-implemented features:

While most AI task forces are assigned to strategically important areas, a few will appear at semi-random locations to spread out the action a bit. Sounds like a US taskforce decided by chance to sail right up to Odessa!

Combat between AI units has not actually been added to the game yet. They will maneuver around and try to intimidate each other but they can't yet fire their weapons. This was a compromise I made a while ago, because running the AI routines for thousands of ships firing at each other made the game run extremely slowly. I recently made a breakthrough on this front, however, and combat between AI units will definitely be added in the next version - it's working pretty well so far, though there are still a couple of minor problems to iron out.

Last edited by TheGeoff; 12-06-14 at 07:34 AM.
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote