View Single Post
Old 07-27-13, 11:58 PM   #74
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
I know the 8rd. clip has been much criticized, but I think these criticisms have been overblown. Yes, topping off a M-1 takes longer, than with a Mauser, Arisaka, or Springfield, but gives you a faster reload,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
I know the 8rd. clip has been much criticized, but I think these criticisms have been overblown. Yes, topping off a M-1 takes longer, than with a Mauser, Arisaka, or Springfield, but gives you a faster reload, not to mention 3 extra rounds.
I quoted the part that I disagree with.

See that is the biggest drawback of the M1 Garand is that under combat conditions you can't top it off easily your stuck with the rounds left in the current mag or as the already stated the Army manual advised your stuck firing off the remaining rounds until ping and then using a fresh clip.

I think that they amount to somethign becuase the 8 round capacity and quirky topping off where the two major complaints from soldiers and Marines using the M1 in combat.They started experimenting with an external magazine for the M1 Garand towards the end of WWII that ultimately led to the M-14.

Furthermore any bolt action rifle Kar98,Type99,SMLE what ever they all used stripper clips as well and you you just pressed the rounds out of the clip into the magazine the same exact process as the M1 Garand nearly to the T except the clip stay with the Garand so how that can be any faster than any other clip loading to me does not add up.

I think you are misunderstanding me here a little i am not in anyway saying that Garand was a bad rifle by any means only that it did have drawbacks.I am not in any way trying to say that it does not have a fire advantage over a bolt action rifle of course it does and that was its great advantage.

Kar98 reload for strip some relaxed loading

M1 reload also a bit relaxed at any rate either could be done very quickly and i do not see how either can be much faster or slower than the other.

@Red the G43 used the standard rifle cartridge used by the German military 7.62x57mm Mauser it was a fairly decent rifle of course it is a bit heavier than the M1 Garand its biggest draw back would be simply low production numbers.

Do not forget Red that the M1 Garand never fully replaced the M1903 during the war in fact our first major battle in the Pacific at Guadal Canal the Marines there did not yet have the M1 Garand the Army troops relived them after several months of fighting did.Just like the M-16 20 years later some soldiers did not like the M1 and preferred the M1903.

You can have excellent accuracy with an M1 Garnad at any range where using open sights is a feasibility.They did make sniper versions as well but the M1903A4 was vastly preferred because at those ranges it was more accurate than the M1Garand C/D.One reason the C/D sniper Garands where disliked was because they had a scope mounted to the side which meant that it was not easy to bore sight and that is not something that snipers like very much.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote