View Single Post
Old 07-27-13, 11:34 PM   #73
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
I have heard that claim about throwing the empty clips as well and it also sounds like BS so the sound of a bit of metal getting tossed is supposed to sound like a clip getting popped out of a chamber under many pounds of spring force right.
Agree.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong the M1 Garand was good weapon it just was not the masterpiece better than everyone else weapon people make it out to be.Weapons are one thing but in war many other factors are important and the best weapon do not always win.The side with the best logistics and the best trained troops the best NCOs and the most well trained officers will win.Your brain is the ultimate weapon team work is the ultimate weapon.
Looking at the specs...we fought against the Arisaka and the Karabiner....and the M1 takes the cake for me. I think it's vastly superior to each of the enemy's rifles.

Now the German Gewehr 43 was a semiautomatic rifle that held 10 rounds. I'm not sure on the specs of that one...but I see it as a contender against the M1...even though it wasn't the standard service rifle.

A semiauto .30-06 that holds 8 rounds easily beats the other two bolt rifles in firing rate and capacity.

The only thing that I see where the M1 might suffer is range and accuracy. With a bolt action rifle, the chamber has a better seal and doesn't have to use extra gas to cycle the bolt. All the gas is behind the round.

I'd need to do a little research first though. Don't have the time.

Looking at it with no research and just knowledge...I see the M1 being best of the rifles during the War.