View Single Post
Old 11-19-22, 10:55 AM   #1
Thefroglord
Seaman

Downloads: 103
Uploads: 0
Default American submarines in the Artic and the Caribbean during World War Two

I have a question that I have been trying to answer for some time and no luck. However I have a feeling some of the folks here could help find some answers. There was grandfather like figure that my dad spent a lot of time with when he was younger. He started out in Pearl Harbor however during the attack his ship was sunk. He said he was the only survivor and attempted to pull out as many of comrades as he could however the fire was too hot. I'm not sure were I could find out were there could be ship that had only "one" crew member remaining. After that he became submariner however what I can never figure out is his story's the Artic and chasing U-boats? No I am not making a satire post either, that's what was said. Spoke about having to use torpedo's to break ice and being chased by them. Now as far as I know there was short time were some subs went to Norway and such however it was very short. The next one is were I got stuck, US subs in the Caribbean during World War Two chasing U-boats. I could not find anything.... nothing... so I was thinking maybe the story's were not true or at least half truth. He had also spoke of mermaids helping him through a minefield and to an island. He also had tattoos of these mermaids and even had names for them. Crazy story however the seas are strange place. I am dying to know more about this and I have a lot time looking and looking and to no avail. The man was said to be very vague and rarely spoke about his time in the war. He said he was a machinist and spent most of time in the Navy. I did find some of his records and he was indeed in the Navy during World War Two other than that there was not much to be found. I would just like to know if such things could have happened and maybe what submarine he was on.
Thefroglord is offline   Reply With Quote