View Single Post
Old 08-19-20, 06:57 PM   #70
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Growing uo as a child in San Francisco, I was used to see all sorts of sailing craft in the SF Bay, but there was one craft which got my attention at a very early age; my grandfather would indulge my fascination with ships and trains by taking me to the Embarcadero waterfront, then still an active commercial freight/passenger terminal where I could see the ships arriving, departing, and being loaded and unloaded; I remember vividly the shuttle trains running between the piers to carry unloaded cargo away or to bring in cargo to load for export, and the bustle of the stevedores and longshoremen in and around the ships, the cacophony of shouts and calls in several different languages; but there was on craft that took my interest for many years and it was landlocked at the beach end of Golden Gate Park...

The ship Gjøa was on exhibit at the Park for decades and had a spotty history of pride and neglect, which I witnessed over the years; when my grandfather first took me there he told me the ship had been to the North Pole, which I found to be an awe-inspiring fact; it wasn't until later years that I learned the full and fascinating story of just how historic and important that little ship really was...
The boat's name was a psychological ploy to boost moral in the crew. The Franklin expedition disaster still fresh in everyone's minds fifty years on, better than naming it Støppa!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote