View Single Post
Old 08-19-20, 05:25 AM   #66
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Good advice and nice films

I certainly like the tall ships, great to see - still have to visit Vasa !

Regarding anchoring we had some bad luck once in the baltic, after a day of sunny sailing with enough wind, no storm or bad weather forecast, no falling barometre, we anchored a thousand meters east from Moen's Klint, ground was also said to be good.
So we routinely secured everything, bathed, prepared dinner and went to bed at 11 pm or so. Still all was looking good, but we left two guards on deck as usual.
At 1 a.m. i felt the boat was really working in the waves, lots of hissing in the steel ropes, we had wind from the east so the coast was in lee, and the anchor did not hold. (was a charter boat, i think a Bavaria 42)
So we got up, had to heave the anchor, started the engine to steam up to it and then trying to get it off the ground, somehow stuck but we made it.
Followed a bad night staying clear from coasts and other ships, always going down to mark the position on the charts, while getting water through the hatch every time you opened it, waves five meters and more. Took 8 hours to get less wind and 24 hours until it came back to 'normal'.
I was not the skipper, we were happy to have a lot of other capable sailors among us.

Still do not understand how we did not see or notice any harbinger of such bad weather before. Ok only Kiel radio for forecasts, Decca instead GPS, no internet and so on, but ..

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote