View Single Post
Old 08-16-20, 08:40 PM   #62
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
Quote:
The United States Congress authorized the original six frigates of the United States Navy with the Naval Act of 1794 on March 27, 1794, at a total cost of $688,888.82. These ships were built during the formative years of the United States Navy, on the recommendation of designer Joshua Humphreys for a fleet of frigates powerful enough to engage any frigates of the French or British navies yet fast enough to evade any ship of the line.

The worlds oldest commissioned naval vessel that is still afloat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post

Either way: that's a whole lotta serious friggin' goin' on! I built models of the USS Constitution and wrote my first term paper in highschool about her...the advanced concept of the American frigate's reinforced construction is featured greatly in the movie Master and Commander where the French vessel, Acheron, is a formidable opponent like Old Ironsides, seriously outclassing traditional British frigates (Lucky Jack Aubrey's HMS Surprise) of the period in number of guns, caliber and weight-of-metal in a single broadside. Bottom Line; a 44 gun American frigate with 30 24-pounder main battery seriously outclassed the traditional frigate of opposing navies with 18 pounder main batteries-and that didn't include the nasty secondary top deck Scottish carronade 'smashers' for close-in work.... Required reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_six_frigates_of_the_United_States_Navy &

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-16-20 at 09:18 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote