View Single Post
Old 03-07-14, 04:02 PM   #11
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolferz View Post
Considering the way modern subs are constructed, I would think that cutting a huge hole in the hull would degrade the integrity to the point of making it totally unusable. I would be squeamish during every dive afterward. IIRC isn't that the reason why the USS Enterprise became a museum ship?
Yes, I know that's a ship and not a sub but, they would have needed to cut a big hole in her to remove the pile.
It's more of a time issue than engineering. To perform the needed hull cut you need to: drydock, make the cut, move what ever equipment in or out, weld the hull section back together, and then back out of drydock. The Ohio class was designed with removable escape trunks to facilitate moving equipment in and out without the need for a hull cut. Turning a 2ft diameter hole into a 6ft one makes life much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolferz View Post
The article quoted in the OP said three years but, that probably covers a complete refit for the entire boat.
More than likely. Since refueling is such a big deal a lot of work will be deferred until it's time to refuel. Then they can combine refueling with a midlife overhaul at the same time saving money and keeping the vessel operational for longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
I was a former Nuke EM but surface ship - CGN 37 USS SoPig. Made E-5 during the 'dark' side of Power School and put on E-6 after 2 years on the boat. Talk about animosity!! Left as an E-6 bucking E-7. Not even the chance to throw on Khaki's could get me to stay! Did my 6 and got the hell out so that I could make some real money in the civilian world After 15 years of being a civilian I would never go back. I love being able to tell people NO.

As far as cutting holes in ships it's not a big deal. You should see how they do the welding (heat soaking before and after). Integrity of the hull is maintained.
I **** you not, every nuc I get along with always ends up being an electrician. Yeah I can see how that would ruffle some feathers. We always gave the nucs **** about being push-button E-4s and how I earned my crow. But being a nuc is one thing I'm glad I didn't get into, the pay was good but the hours sucked.

Ah HY-80 and HY-100 welding, try and weld that cold and it will laugh at you. Titanium is even worse, I still don't think we know how the Soviets did it.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote