View Single Post
Old 06-06-23, 11:09 AM   #4680
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Icon9 Here's one you(amazingly ) don't hear about!

1912: Lasting three days, the largest volcanic eruption of the twentieth century exploded June 6, 1912, from a new volcano, Novarupta. In the process, it created Katmai caldera and the Valley of Ten Thousand Smokes. Not only have the 1912 events remained scientifically important ever since, but also the 1912 deposits continue to provide insights about volcanic and magmatic processes that impact us and the land we live in. The magnitude and volume of the eruption at Novarupta in 1912 were exceptional, far larger than any other historical eruption in North America. The eruption formed the Valley of 10,000 Smokes. It created and spread more ash fallout than all the other historic eruptions from Alaska volcanoes combined . The dust and sulphurous aerosols were detected over California, Europe and North Africa within two weeks of the eruption (AVO, Fierstein and Hildreth 2001). It was also reported that an ash blanket reached as far as Greece . The ash and dust deposited has shown up in ice cores taken from Greenland (Fierstein and Hildreth 2001). Other recorded effects were extensive and included collapsed roofs, contaminated water supplies, a devastated fishing industry and cooler summers.
Quote:
Many aspects of the three-day explosive eruption at Novarupta in June 1912 focused attention on this remote volcano, and it has become one of the most intensively studied in the world. Its eruptive volume of 3.1-3.4 mi3 (13-14 km3) of magma places it among the five largest in recorded history. At any time, such an eruption would attract much attention, but in 1912 the field of volcanology was in its infancy. Phenomena not previously seen or recognized anywhere else provided opportunities for a wide range of research. In addition to aspects already discussed, the eruption also led to pioneering studies in eruption dynamics and mechanisms of explosive eruptions, evolution of underground magma systems that produce volcanoes, and high-temperature vapor transport in fumaroles with relevance to metallic ore deposition.
https://www.nps.gov/articles/aps-v11-i1-c2.htm Bottom Line: if you're gonna get 'cooked' on the spinning mudball, its good to know what the 'stove' is gonna do...somewhat in advance!!?? In 2010, I myself was held over for 5 days in Shannon ireland when Iceland's Eyjafjallajökull erupted, halting all air travel in Europe. If Novarupta(or Yellowstone) erupted again today, to the same scale as in 1912, it would cripple the aviation industry in North America and possibly Europe.< ash load upends jet in Mount Pinatubo, Philippines. The minimum cost is estimated in excess of $300 million and the social implications are likely to be devastating all around the world.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote