View Single Post
Old 03-23-15, 07:21 AM   #44
Pigboatcook
A-ganger

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrindre View Post
I started in Perl and was unable to get to ANY port on a half tank. I tried to get to ever close port on the map from the South China Sea and all to no avail.

Remember your charge times effect your cruising range also. I'm currently running a Porpoise out of Pearl (TMO/RSRDC). It is 1300NM +/- to Midway and at standard (15kts) it takes only 16% of the fuel. This of course is usage because Pearl to Midway I'm never submerged and don't have to charge batteries. The more battery you run down the more fuel you'll consume on your voyage.

Midway to Bashi channel I run 13knots on the surface and if I have to dive because of aircraft I crawl her at 1/3 once I'm below 200. This not only saves me gas on recharging it also leaves me plenty of reserve battery to use if I do make contact while down. By the time I hit Bashi channel I have anywhere from 60-63% of my fuel load remaining. To clear my patrol area I stay at 2/3rds patrolling on the surface and 1/3 patrolling submerged. This leaves me plenty of fuel to patrol, go to a secondary, and make it back to Midway with my tubes empty.

Some say 2kts submerged is too boring. TC takes the pain out of that as long as you pay attention to any TC lag to maximize your contacts with the enemy.

Last edited by Pigboatcook; 03-23-15 at 07:31 AM.
Pigboatcook is offline   Reply With Quote