View Single Post
Old 06-29-21, 08:41 AM   #3564
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnzrldr View Post
Can anyone tell me - precisely - how to install SH4 from Steam, clean install, and then install this mod? I can't even get SH4 to run from Steam, clean. I get to the title move, click or space and get black screen. Reso issue? 3440 x 1440? Only one hard drive, so can't aim Steam at a non- Program Files location, so how do I just 'move' the game? Is there a link to a step-by-step? Didn't there used to be a .pdf somewhere? I just can't hit restart again. Its killing me.
One of the "requirements" for modding SH4, and it applies to all mega-mods, and goodly portion of even the simple mods, is that the game cannot be in a "Program Files" folder, even if it is under the Steam folder there. Hopefully, you do not have a lot of Steam games, because with just the one hard drive, you cannot create additional Steam Library folders on your C: drive. What you will have to do is re-install Steam, and when you do that, put it in a folder other than Program Files. When I installed Steam on my computer here, I took the Install Path of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam..." and changed it to "C:\Games \Steam...", which then installs Silent Hunter below that. Steam will still use "Program Files (x86)" for most of its "Steam" app files, but the Library is now in "Games\Steam", and Windows will no longer interfere with modding attempts. For more, you can read the Steam Knowledge Base article "Moving a Steam Installation and Games". Even with just one game though, it is still a painfully slow process.

That said though, the Stock Steam game not starting is telling you something also, in that your computer's "high" resolution display and Windows (again) are interfering with the "old" DirectX v9.0c game Silent Hunter. You will most likely still need to set the Properties on the SH4.exe file after you move the Steam Library. You do that by going into the game folder (ie: "C:\Games \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter...") and right-click the "Sh4.exe" file, which will bring up a context menu. Choose "Properties" at the bottom of that list, and then click on the "Compatibility" tab at the top, which will take you to the "back" portion of the image:

The little window popped-out in front of the "Properties" tab there is from clicking on the "Change high DPI settings" button on the Properties "Compatibility" page. You might have to use both the "Program DPI" and "High DPI scaling override" sections on that page, in addition to what is shown on the Properties page itself. You will have to experiment with those settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorMan View Post
To begin with, this is the first anyone's asked me for more than some of the game settings and I'm happy to provide as much as you need to help sort this out.

Anyway, here's the where / where:
[pic]
As of this time, this is the only convoy I know off of the top of my head when and where to intercept, but as you can see, this in just north of Saigon on the coast of Indochina on Dec 13th.

Here is what the ships look like:
[pic]

And as you can see here, all 4 of the Heiyo Marus in this convoy have the same issue:
[pic]

Finally this is with only FOTRSU 1.46 and Nippon Maru installed...

I've removed all other mods for this process (and had already done so prior to this if you look at my previous post), so while yes, in my previous list I'd shown quite a few other mods, the pictures above were taken with only the two listed mods here. Additionally, I uninstalled them and deleted the contents of my saves folder prior to reinstalling them and starting a new career to intercept this convoy.

Anyway, if you need anything else from me to help sort this out (i.e. save files, other computer specs, etc) please let me know.

EDIT: And just to be clear, I do not get this behavior with only FOTRS installed. It only appears after adding NM.

EDIT2: Some potentially relevant information...

This is the system / settings I'm using:
-Windows 10 Pro
-I7-4770K
-32GB RAM
-GTX 2080S
-Game installed on an SSD
-SH4 version 1.5
-All graphical settings maxed

And finally, I was exploring the files in Nippon Maru for the Heiyo Maru and the config in the roster for it refers to TGA files instead of DDS files while all of the texture files I could find in the NP_HAP folder were DDS. I don't know if this is an issue at all as some games don't really care what the extension is as long as the name is right and the format is one the engine recognizes, but I thought I'd mention it just in case its relevant.

EDIT3: Final note... the images above were taken at extreme sonar range, but I did allow the the convoy to literally run me over (I was parked exactly in front of the easter column of the convoy) and sink me and the textures never resolved into anything other than what you see above.
Thank you for the additional information, and the pictures. That helps immensely. The file extensions do not matter, other than they do have to be either tga for SH3 and dds for SH4, but as you mention, the extension "names" are not actually necessary. After looking at a few more things, I'll do some specific testing this morning, and might be able to post something for you to try later today.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote