View Single Post
Old 09-03-15, 08:54 PM   #1516
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
Ok fair enough. However don't forget none of them really worked against subs though. There's a reason mines(no matter how bad they were early war if it went off....) and depth charges stayed around and the others faded away. Though one can argue the "cruiser mines" were the precursors to the hedgehog and squid weapons of WW2.
Yes; these devices will be very poor weapons - in the picture I posted, you will notice how small the lethal radius for most of them is. For the most part, your odds of survival will be better in 1914-1916. As you WWI sub warfare fans know, most deaths in the Imperial Navy's submarines came in 1917-1918, when DC's were more common, acoustic detection was better, and after the British began mass producing copies of the German contact mine.

I am trying to think of ways to make warfare much more dangerous than it is in standard SH4 - there should be more aborted patrols, and plenty of mundane ways to die - after all, this was the case in real life:

-Your sub could suffer a catastrophic mechanical failure, because submarines were a new and hazardous technology (also to your benefit I want to have enemy ships straggle from convoys). I will try to see how mechanical failures were implemented in other mods.
-You could run into wrecks, shallows, etc b/c of bad navigation (easy to implement - just add collisionable static shipwreck/rock object locations to the SH4 map)
-Failing to navigate friendly minefields (easy to implement)
-Torpedoes can detonate prematurely, right after firing (not sure it can be done without eliminating the arming distance for the torpedo - I'll have to ponder that one).

If you can think of any other risks, people, feel free to contribute.

Last edited by iambecomelife; 09-03-15 at 09:05 PM.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote