View Single Post
Old 12-17-10, 09:52 PM   #171
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default Here is my brilliant explanation, corrected per Robbins' previous review

Hypo 1:

It's Thanksgiving. A 450 foot wood duck, quacking wildly, is traveling from left to right at 8 kts, range 2,000 yds., bearing 270 degrees and closing. (It is lost and not flying very fast.) You put your shotgun away because it does not have enough fire power to bring down waterfowl of such immense size, and forget that it is Thanksgiving. You decide to take it out with a torpedo! You set the scope to 350 degrees, set Aob to to 80 degrees starboard (i.e. the duck is showing you its starboard feathers), and set range to 2,000 yards. Even though the PK is not activated, the TDC, which never sleeps, calculates a lead angle of 9 degrees. If you fire when the duck crosses the wire (i.e. at 350 degrees), the duck and torpedoes should rondeveous at 359 degrees. (See gutted's chart posted by Robbins.)

Hypo 2:

Same duck as hypo 1, but you spilled your coffee, and did not fire when it crossed the wire at 350 degrees. You still want to take a shot at it, because a portion of the duck is better than not eating on Thanksgiving, and your kids are hungry. Swivel your periscope to a bearing of 10 degrees. Reset Aob to 100 degrees starboard, as the duck is flying away from you and still showing its starboard feathers. Click range. The TDC will recalcuate the lead angle, which will be approximately 9 degrees. (The TDC will calcuate the precise lead angle, which could be slightly more or less than 9 degrees.) Fire when the duck crosses the wire (i.e. 10 degrees) and the torpedo should hit the duck on its starboard side at a bearing of approximately 19 degrees [wood duck crosses wire and torpedo fired at a bearing of 10 degrees + 9 degree lead angle = torpedo and wood duck rondeveous at a bearing of approximately 19 degrees], as the TDC, even though the PK is not activated, calculated a lead angle of approximately 9 degrees. Dinner is served!

The key is that the TDC will calculate the lead angle since it operates even if the PK (Position Keeper) is not activated.

Download gutted's remarkable Solution Solver program, and once you are familiar with it, you can input the variables of these hypotheticals and confirm Robbins' instruction. Don't forget to reset range when switching from a fast to a slow torpedo or vice-versa, because that will impact the TDC's calculation of the lead angle. And in the early war, set your torpedeos to run fairly shallow, as the Navy manufactured them to run too deep and did not tell anybody.