View Single Post
Old 04-27-22, 12:29 PM   #13
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
This concept could be a topic all on it's own, but would you consider expanding on it?

For example, if you were painting a large "bust" type of figure, how would that be different than painting smaller figures? Should you add highlights and shadows at all?

As another example, if you were painting a 1/35th scale diorama of a tank and its crew, should the figures be 'weathered' just like the equipment or should the figures look more 'natural', possibly looking like someone else painted them?

These are leading questions and I have my own theories , but I would really like to see what you think.
I just work on the idea that the smaller the scale the "further away" the thing should seem, so I use lighter tones

As for figures, I don't dry-brush highlights as this can often be overdone and looks false. However, dry-brushing a lighter colour to imitate weathering is different, plus I do use dark washes to show up relief detail (see the hands and boots on these Airfix US Marines)

Just by the by, for the straps on helmets and guns etc like here, I use the soft metal from collapsible paint tubes or wine bottle necks as it's easy to coax into 'hanging' right