View Single Post
Old 01-29-24, 07:19 PM   #14
EAST
Sparky

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Hey Theta!

Good to hear from you.

Haven't posted in a bit. Figured I'd wait until I had visuals to show beyond the crappy dev art. Been working away on the multiplayer. I tend to get the foundation and framing done before I do anything else...keeps me from building myself into a corner. That said, went down a bit of a rabbit hole after spending too much time looking at UBOAT. I coded a modular submerge/surface operations system with balance tanks, trim tanks, valves, piping (for pressure drop and damage) before I caught myself. This isn't that kind of sim. While I learned a lot about the engine and how to modify some of my approach to how I built the game, I realized I needed to abandon most of that work...

On the good news side, had some conversations with devs from a cool open world project on how they modelled the entire world without having to constantly load sections. Very interesting. I'm experimenting with it so that I can make this a big world without losing precision on sub-meter movement scale. Islands to discover...

I'm having a lot of fun working on this. It's both satisfying my love for IW (and all the friends I met in that game) and scratching my coding itch. Now if I could just find some artists that would like to contribute.........