View Single Post
Old 06-27-20, 10:28 AM   #301
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

My Huawei P9 lite, which I liked, seems to give it up. Its from 2016 I think, so that comes a bit early in my thinking (I demand mobile computer devices to last at least 5 years, and stationary PCs 7-8 years). The screen's touch functionality works only with delays and stutterings now, even when removing the protection I added to it (after the original broke all by itself longer time ago, I opened it one morning and the shield was all broken, the display not). The battery counter also seems to work erratic.

I can get a cheap deal on a Samsung M31, for 210 Euros, (Amazon price is 270 Euros). The working speed seems to be comparable or maybe very slightly better (in parts same chips, some other chips are newer), battery is twice as big (6000, wowh), and it has 4x as much default memory and 3.5x higher pixel resolution camera(s). It comes with Android 10. It looks ugly, but I use to carry/hide them in leather wallets anyway.

Is it a good deal, in your opinion? Any known issues? Truckloads of bloatware that cannot be deleted (I have earlier experiences with Samsung devices and were not impressed with them beign drowned in bloatware, but that is 6 years ago or so)? Erratic compass or GPS sensor? Bad camera? These are the things that are priority for me: navigation (OSMAND), and camera, and reliable bluetooth (a weakness of the Huawei, they suck with bluetooth).

If there were no political issues, and dissatisfaction with Chinese traders' behaviour and the uncertainty over Google's Playstore, I would not have minded to go with a Chinese brand again, but as things are today, I decided that I want to turn away from them. I also was annoyed one time too often now by a Chinese traders in disguise at Amazon, they too often practice too bad behaviour, tricks, and even lie. Only Fenix torchlights I would buy again, they are just too good to be ignored.