View Single Post
Old 10-19-08, 01:46 AM   #53
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalExplorer
If theres's one thing to learn from the last 20 years then it's that early adoption doesn't pay off. Ask that the people who bought 486DX-33, "487" arithmetic coprocessors or in more recent years the GForce3 or Athlon FX because they wanted to be prepared for the future.

I would say get a Dual Core now when they are mature and at the lower price limit.
I had all those things you mentioned (except the co-proc since a DX CPU had an FPU built in already- the co was for you underpowered SX people, and I never had the FX yet and that's new) and I used them all.

So you were saying?

Geforce 3 played Morrowind really good with the new pixel shaders that no one else had! Great purchase! I still have it matter of fact in a box somewhere. As for FPU's, all procs since Pentium on have them. I even had access to one of the fist 100 Mhz Pentiums probably on the West Coast, and man did it play Mechwarrior good! Had a midi board in that system and Doom sounded awesome too!

Quite frankly, early adopters got to max out graphics when no one else could. Same goes for today.

And for a little side-note - quads are not new anymore. They are becoming mainstream. Quads would have been an early adopter thing about a year or more ago anyway. Now I see all the game companies starting to make use of them, so about the time Neal puts together a system, games will probably be trickling in.

-S