View Single Post
Old 04-01-19, 10:34 AM   #56
rmax
Seaman

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0
Default Great Thread

This is a great thread. Thanks for all the tips and points on immersion. I was in U-32 off the coast of the UK at night. My wife comes into the room where I have a blanket over my head as I could see nothing as it was overcast. I'm sure she thought I was watching p*rn or something.

I now have a note book where I do my target solution calculations. I find that helps a lot. I don't know about immersion but it helps immensely as the ranges and bearing called to the XO don't go into the event log.

I have written various programmes that test my ability to calculate True bearing from relative bearing + heading.

On scopes, I keep the scope up for a minimum amount of time.

I also use OpenSeaMap to plot course. Not realistic, but I don't have a set of charts available.

After the separate thread on CelNav, I might try and do that again... but I do love Real Navigation. First time I played WoS and made it to Kiel it was an accomplishment in itself!

One thing that really helped me (and I am still quite a noobie I think) is someone once posted a comment saying that you had to *think* like a U-Boat commander. Once I made that transition it has become much easier: being cunning, taking careful risks, thinking about the where ships are going etc.
rmax is offline   Reply With Quote