View Single Post
Old 03-03-10, 01:46 PM   #199
jlederer
Bosun

Downloads: 47
Uploads: 0
Default Issues I've noticed

Well first of all the game seems to run OK (given I have only a 320MB video card and 2GB RAM on Win7) with all the eye-candy on. Love being able to walk through the ship, conning tower, etc. I'm only on first mission of Campaign. But I do have many issues/concerns :-)

While graphics generally good, explosions are slow, almost stop-action on my nVidia 8800GTS, I'm going to turn AA off (had it on just above zero setting on the scale - probably means "2x"?)

1) Put two torps into two different points on a tanker. Burning furiously, but continues to cruise right along. For over 1.5 hours so far (following it on 32x time compression). No signs it will stop or sink anytime soon. Saved game and reloaded. Now he's no longer burning, just puttering along as if nothing happened.
2) Cannot put waypoint on the spot campaign me to go patrol to. Can only place waypoint near there, but if I try to go to exact spot game acts as if I'm trying to select the spot.
3) Manual is just horribly lacking. Clearly not proofread - many subjects not covered at all. Refers to a keystroke chart "in the back" which isn't there.
4) Interesting that there are keys for "gear up" and "gear down" on the in-game keychart. I've never seen landing gear on a sub. Can you control planes in this game? Would better have labeled keys for functions like "hold fire on the deck gun" as others have mentioned which are clearly needed but absent.
5) Crew doesn't man deck gun (even when I first left Kiel) even when I ask the guy at the UZO (1WO?) to give the order. - EDIT - it may be that weather prevented their doing so on first sailing? And maybe morale prevented them manning it subsequently? I notice also that if my avatar attempts to "man" the deck gun, the gun crew suddenly appears to give me a hand :-) and I can even do this if the seas are too rough for the deck gun to be manned - I can go out for a wade on the deck and my deck gun crew will complain about seas being too rough to man the gun but follow me and man the gun anyway :-)
6) Inability to give orders to my men to do simple things like "report nearest sound contact". Only recourse seems to be learning 15 different hotkeys....
7) None of the gauges in the ship or on the bridge are clickable as far as I've found. Many of the gauges don't even move/register (e.g. all the identical gauges on the electrical panels in the rear of the sub). EDIT - Based on photos of real boats I think some of these gauges should show things like battery level....
8) At least at one point I saw a problem where I could try to lay-out waypoints but the course arrows did not display. Eventually cured that by moving to another station and back.
9) Need more documentation for scripting language and especially object model. I'd like to know if there is a way to mod scripted conversations with crew (and add choices to crew interaction menus) but it's sure not obvious if/how that can be done.
10) Can't figure-out how to get menu to display for modding tools off taskbar. Tried uncommenting lines in main.cfg file under My Documents and that caused prompt to appear when starting game asking if I wanted to run "menu editor" which worked when I said yes, but no ability to launch Script Manager for example.
11) Intermittent event camera switching from view of e.g. a torpedo to miniature view of room I'm in in the submarine.
12) Game sometimes pauses, screen darkens and then lightens (e.g. when switching to exterior camera). Could be video ram limitations, could be interaction with Uplay?
13) Kept being asked if I wanted to turn TDC on/off while I was trying to input manual targeting info, not sure how that's happening, maybe I'm pressing a wrong key somehow?
14) Unclear how to assign repair crews or prioritize repairs or if that's even possible - EDIT - OK, when components are damaged you see a indication in yellow on the Components screen with a percentage of max capability shown (common for damage to be very minor like 98%) and a little wrench shows what the damage control team is prioritizing and you can click something else and they'll work on that. Similar to SH3 in that respect.
15) Ramed by destroyer at periscope depth, only damage was 1% off the flack gun and hull integrity was still 100%?
16) The Type 1 and Type 3 torps look nearly identical, hard to tell what you have loaded if you don't hover over them and look for tooltips.
17) Had to save and go to sleep at 1am last night. When I reloaded today, a cargo ship I had torpedoed and was burning was gone - not that I got credit for a sinking, I think it just disappeared or somehow repaired and rejoined convoy instantly while I was sleeping?

OK, that's enough for now. Still excited about the game's potential IF Ubi fixes the bugs and assuming we can Mod the game into what it really should be (e.g. remove the speed-setting slider and replace it with a nice engine room telegraph).

Last edited by jlederer; 03-03-10 at 05:14 PM.
jlederer is offline   Reply With Quote