View Single Post
Old 05-17-17, 11:55 PM   #12
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
It has already affected folks building their own, at least one having posted on this site. They couldn't get a version of Linux to install on their new build until there was a workaround or hack for the UEFI.

I think that was installing on a pre-built, Win10 pre-install...
You are talking about the trouble Reece had, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
.... I've been closely watching AMD the last couple of years, rooting for them to get back up and fight, and then they're part of this "consortium" in UEFI... good idea in a way, but really ~bad~ in so many others.

On the other hand, they are more actively developing their Linux video drivers, and have devs working on the Linux kernel driver for the newer cards.

My PC has the dual bios, but I've got it all set to "Legacy"....

I was thinking about the new 16 core earlier, if I were to wait and get one of these (after the price comes down a bit) that means I will have "jumped" one processor series (the "Ryzen").

First custom PC was a K6-2 500mhz, then the 2nd was a 1.4ghz Athlon (Thunderbird), followed by a 2500xp, I skipped the socket 764 and 939 single core first (and second?)-gen 64bit.
Then my last was a Dual-core 5600x2, then I skipped the Quad-Core Phenom, and now I'm running my FX-8350...

So if I go as planned with the 16 core... I'll be following a pattern that I've had for a very long time!

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote