View Single Post
Old 05-17-17, 09:44 AM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
The truly sad part about technology as it advances and how it is used is how often it is under used and a lot of that has to to with executive decisions regarding who gets what; I've been involved in PCs since the days when they first entered the everyday workplace and I have seen the same scenario every time; workloads and time considerations will over-stress the technological abilities of the regular workers actually producing the results, but executives will squeeze the last bit of use out of those workers' outdated/inadequate technology and then wonder why productivity has lessened; in the mean time, those same executives feel no considerations of cost when they select and purchase technology for the own offices; I can't tell you how many times I've had to struggle to keep machines on their last legs operational for the workers while the boss has just purchased the biggest, most powerful desktop or laptop, with the best performance specs, just so they can send and answer their e-mail and schedule their golf games. I can think of only one or two situations where a manager, executive or director has had the wisdom to forego having the most powerful paperweight around on his desk in favor of making sure those who do the actual work have proper and sufficient tools; one upside is the technology has gotten so powerful and complex, a lot of the executive types who I described as impediments are fading slowly form the business world and the task of making the final decisions of tech implementation is falling to CIOs and IT professionals...

<O>
Yup, bad management has no bounds. They are paid by a company they are killing. The appearance of prestige is more important than actually using that prestige to make their company more successful.

Oh well. It's a self-limiting insanity. Unfortunately a lot of good, hard-working people tend to lose their jobs before the buffoon goes out the door.

Of course, the people buying expensive paperweights finance the next level of technology, having more money than brains, serving as unpaid testers and buying enough units so economies of scale can allow you and I to buy that $1000 microprocessor for $200 the year after.

If there were a lot more stupid rich people we'd be much better off. I prefer to call them "adventurous" and in the business they are called "early adopters."
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote