View Single Post
Old 12-03-21, 05:45 PM   #102
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
... Trawler I'm working on does not have such booms - it's a drifter, so more like this:

In order to depict it "at work" I'd have to be able to make buoys and net that is connected to the ship but not rigidly - its bouncing due to wave movement should be independent, or every time ship rolls on waves buoys would jump out of the water. Same thing with trying to depict minesweepers while sweeping. Currently I have no clue how one would do it (but to tell the truth I haven't been looking into this much yet).

Worst case, as far as trawlers are concerned, one could make a docked version as part of port traffic, with nets deployed as separate "ship"...
I did not realize there was net fishing like that. I thought it was all drag... I have tried to "attach" two ships with a "cable" from the one to the other, so it looks like one is being towed... A "free-hanging" (or would that be "free-trailing"??) "cable" is attached to the "towing" ship with a bit of "overhang" to go into the "towed" ship. Looks fantastic when the test mission starts with the two ships as a "group", but then it gets really strange, when the towed ship tries to "avoid" the towing ship. Within a few minutes, the illusion is destroyed... sigh, and like you say, a little bit of sea bob, and the "cable" does some weird antics... Similarly, trying to put a walk-board between closely parked ships / subs doesn't work very well either...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is online   Reply With Quote