View Single Post
Old 11-30-21, 01:59 PM   #92
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
I'm currently working on a French tug boat (L'Actif - 1939), but it's hard for me to keep it low poly because I have very detailed technical plans and I like details ...
Looks cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
Why ? Is there any limitation ?
The (currently) only tool available for modders not speaking binary (that is, everyone but Jeff right now) to export/import models to SH5, TDW's GR2Editor, inflates files during import (you'll find more info in Jeff's Almagest thread), which means models imported with it take more system resources than they should. That's why I would not advise to use this tool to make small improvements to existing models (like, say, adding a single crate on deck of a ship) unless you can use strict import option, because entire file will then be inflated in size for relatively small gain.

Still, even these inflated files are handled rather well by SH5. To give you an idea:

- Stock Armed Trawler has 11236 triangles and 1,55 MB gr2 file
- Large Fishing Trawler (my remodel of the above unit), 12201 triangles but 2,81 MB file

Seems suboptimal, but at the same time PB4Y plane in TWoS has 160671 triangles and 8,38 MB .dat file and there is no visible lag when a flight of these appear. Or, for gr2 example, command room o our boat has 55 MB .gr2 file. So, the game can handle way more than stock units "weight".

When I was making first units of this mod I was very stingy with details because I was worried about performance, but I've relaxed my detail limits a lot since.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote