View Single Post
Old 09-14-22, 10:49 PM   #1197
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I think it's great that you make the missions based on the actual ones by the actual boats that actually happened... actually. Can't get more real then that.

I tend to do more PACFLEET campaigns, and the Gatos and Balaos are my favorite boats so it will be something to look forward too in that career... and luck of the draw when I come back into port. I'm sure after 70 or 80 careers out of Pearl I'll get a few lifeguard missions, and it should only take about a year to play that many... just kidding... kind of...

If I where to make a little mini-MOD to increase the number of deck gun rounds would that mess with anything else? Specifically would that mess with whatever you did to get the the 20mm and 40mm guns to shoot a surface targets?

This may be a silly question, however I know how temperamental SH-4 can be, and there may be ways some files interact with other files that I am not aware of so I figured it would not hurt to ask.

The only thing the MOD would change is the value that controls the number of rounds the deck gun has at the beginning of a patrol. My thinking is, if I where a Fleetboat Captain back in WWII, and my torpedoes kept not working the way they did, I would get my hands on as many rounds for the weapon that actually worked. Right now I have the 4' /50cal so I was going to add another 80 rounds. I don't think that sound too outlandish.

-StealthRabbit

Well you will have to edit the files in the mod and then in the mod included which turns AA guns into deck guns. Otherwise should not be a problem.

I made a mod (need to release it) that upped the 5 inch 25 cal deck gun ammo from 150 rounds to 250 rounds for late war when deck gun use is more common and the AA gun ammo(for use as deck guns) to enable when player is assigned to a picket sweeps in the mod and engages a lot of small craft not worth a torpedo (subs really performed these missions off japan in 1945 , typically in advanced of carrier forces) or just to have because deck gun use in general was more common in later war

Realism wise, they may carried few extra rounds but have to keep in mind weight of the extra ammo, storage space(safe storage) etc. Torpedoes weighed roughly 2,000 pounds each x 24, plus crew, food stores, parts, fuel oil, ammo etc. but comes down to captains preference.

Take spyron missions for example, to make room and save weight for cargo, passengers, subs would usually only go to sea with torpedoes in their tubes, all reloads were removed. In the orders I put to only depart with so many torpedoes but when sim starts up it always starts up with full load even if removed when in port prior to departing. So if I use torpedoes, I do not reload tubes.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote