View Single Post
Old 10-29-12, 05:04 PM   #36
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
Right let's back up a wee bit; this for me is the key point why Win8 is not interesting:It was never really going to be faster. It is the same thing with a few tweaks, which according to tests by the people who know how to do these tests do not net any real-world improvement.

Then what's the point of getting windows 8?

If it is Windows 7 with a new flashy GUI and you turn off the new GUI, what is the point of it?

Every time someone mentions the GUI as a negative, the defenders point out you can turn it off. What they fail to realise is that they just said Windows 8 has no point, no place on a desktop where Windows 7 exists.
There is actually quite a bit of an improvement with windows 8 for the desktop side.

For example, file system operations have become a LOT better. File transfers are pauseable now. Windows 8 also manages multiple file transfers at once better.

Hyper V is also available for free for windows 8 pro.

Drive extender allows much easier management of volumes spread between multiple hard drives. I personally use this a lot to organize my, um, adult video collection.

The task scheduler is supposed to actually unleash the performance of AMD's FX series now (or so I heard), I don't have one, so I really can't comment on it.

Native multitouch trackpad support, and native NFC.

Finally, the UI thread is optimized to give you less studdering, freezes and lag that you see in older versions of windows.