View Single Post
Old 07-08-21, 07:34 AM   #11
Von Grinseed
Swabbie

Downloads: 215
Uploads: 0
Default I had the same sort of problem with the bobbing water, but...

...that was with just one version available online of Aces of the Deep. I got that from Abandonware Games (abandonwaregames.net) The water moved really fast and unnaturally (I usually play SH2) it was quite annoying and I removed the game from my computer. Now I am not criticizing Abandonware because they have provided me with quite a number of retro games that work very well. but even adjusting their DOSbox settings made no difference to the AoD water.
So I found another version this week on www.freegameempire.com and it works well, the water is still active but not as sudden or choppy as the Abandonware game runs on my computer. I am now trialing it to see if I can enjoy the benefits as has been boasted of here in this thread.
And I have found that because each of these freeware games has been subject to subjective manipulations with DOSbox the difference in performance with the same games from different sites on my rig can be substantially different.
For example the A10 Tank Killer from Abandonware (sorry guys) parts of it just dont work. It doesnt take off unless you track it all around the airfield and the missiles wont fire. It was this glitch that led me to FreeGameEmpire, whose A10 works in all departments.
So if youre a free ware slut like me and you have a game from one site that doesnt run as well as you'd like, I recommend looking around. I could be on the way to being a new Ace of the Deep.
Cheers
Von Grinseed is offline   Reply With Quote