View Single Post
Old 01-08-14, 12:51 PM   #497
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_2012 View Post
I got a simple question, I am going to migrate from 2.1 to 2.8.7, which wave mechanic do I need if I was using Dynamic Environment SH5 Waves (normal version) V2.1?
I guess you meant v 2.9; DynEnv 2.8.7 doesn't exist

As for your question, you have various alternatives:

- leaving stock wave settings unaltered.
- enabling one of the three 'Wave Mechanics' submods included with Dynamic Environment 2.9; they have not changed since v 2.1, but if you plan to use the 'Gale' version, I suggest you enabling instead the 'Gale (Improved)' version by Fifi, whose download link is available at the bottom of post #1.
- using 'sobers waves mod V27'

The 'Sobers Best Ever Tweaks' submod of DynEnv 2.9 also contains wave settings, but they are based on an older version of sobers wave mod.

None of the above mods alters DynEnv's core files, so you are pretty free to choose the wave mod which fits your needs better. Moreover, you can switch them any time, in bunker or while on patrol. Let us know which one you prefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain73 View Post
Hello! All Happy New Year!
I loved the waves in the SHO! Ships disappear from sight on the horizon! And it creates a sense that you're on a small boat in the open ocean!
You can create this in SH5?

Video of the SHO....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Steel View Post
Hi Captain

Have a look att post #2933/ the Sobers Mega Mod thread

Might be what you're looking for.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...92374&page=196
sobers waves mod V27:
(post #1 updated with link to it, by the way)

Nice improvement indeed. Those are the high, long waves one would expect in high seas.
DynEnv's hurricane waves look totally unrealistic in comparison:

My one complaint about sober's wave mods in general is that imo his waves look too smooth, i.e. they lack the wavelets rippling the sea surface even on calm winds. This factor (sobers realistic contrast might also contribute though) leads to an undesired 'plastic wrap effect' especially noticeable at certaing angles and with sunny weather, which I haven't ever seen in reality. Here is a visual example of what I mean (sorry for the picture heavy reply, guys):

Compare the screenie above (by sober) with the next one by Fifi (DynEnv's Gale improved with zero wind speed):

Last edited by gap; 01-08-14 at 01:06 PM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote