Thread: [REL] FOTRS Ultimate Project
View Single Post
Old 08-24-16, 03:21 PM   #1546
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Guy's I've been in New York the last couple of days...still on vacation, but returning soon.

Regarding the sensors of the Ultimate .1 beta. The only changes I've made has been to the actual parameters of the equipment used......not to how its used. The various equipment Hydrophone/Sonar; or Radar....both SJ and SD; and their early/late versions have been modified to match the found figures in the "Weapons and Sensors" page, which are as close as I can have them work as in real life. Those specifications are matching what I believe to be the most authentic measured capabilities of the equipment.

What I've yet to look at is how the game uses those sensors. The games sensors .cfg files for both the sub and the AI have not been changed from what FOTRS used (where did they come from? What's the difference between one and another compared to the stock .cfg files remains to be seen). I'm suspecting this is where you're finding difficultly in what the game is doing with its sensors. I've got a plan on how to eliminate all other sensors inputs, except for the one I'm wanting to test, then run different .cfg changes through the game to find the balance of each sensor for playable gaming. The separate sensor types are:
Visual
Hydrophone
Sonar
Radar

I'll first work on each sensor to have it preform as expected, then work within the .cfg file to have each sensors "modifier" work with the others to preform as expected The "modifier's" are in the .cfg files. The actual equipment specifications/capabilities are in the games .dat file.

One thing I've noticed (and by the way, corrected with the mod still on my computer) is the sub crews visual ability to report ships at distances that seem authentic, yet you look at the bearing through binoculars......you'll not see a thing. There's no reason to not see past 5 miles distance, yet the crew can. My fix is to have the player "see" those targets the crew reports (its the logical thing to do). There will be a limit, so don't think there won't be one, but its my consideration to have things like the crew see things, and you cannot, work as expected. It will.

Then there's the sensors of the game AI opponent, and how correct are they compared to authentic capabilities, and the application of the modifiers from the .cfg files. FOTRS has a lot of new sensor types added to the game over the stock game. For instance the stock game has one visual AI type called "AI_Visual". FOTRS uses about six different visual types for the various ships/planes it puts in the game. Nothing easy about checking each type of visual capabilities, then trying to see just how the difference of one does over another. Going to take some time to do it right.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote