View Single Post
Old 11-09-21, 03:47 AM   #2
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schiffmorder View Post
November, 1939. 175km SE Scapa Flow. Truly the WORST weather I've ever seen in this game.
Even when 'surfaced' the watch officer is telling me 'Depth 10 meters' 3-4 times a minute. My diesels are choked off, I am making little headway.

I would have called BS except I am currently reading U-boat Killer: Fighting The U-boats In The Battle Of The Atlantic (MacIntyre) and he describes similar situations a number of times in which his H Class destroyer was brought to a standstill, barely making enough headway for steering into waves.
I do manage to kill a medium cargo. Go me.

I try to chase down another contact and lose the race. Sad face. I cannot begin to fathom living this reality.

I determine to only chase down closing contacts (obtained only via sonar mind you, vis is moderate to poor.)

I make another contact and manage to get in visual range and firing position. It is TINY on the map, identified only as Coastal Craft. It is making 8 knots. I am doubtful I will try a shot. The depth setting will have to be so shallow the torp will porpoise. I am at the TDC setting up my torps when my crew cheers.
???
???
???
I look at the map and there is a red sunk icon 2500 meters away. Wasn't me. Is there another U-boat around?
I search the area carefully with my hydrophone and hear nothing.

An hour later the scenario repeats except this time the ship is destroyed outside my visual range. (edit: Have recalled this second contact started as radio contact. Could only have been a Uboat. Even seagulls are hiding)

There was no crew cheer, my only clue was the sudden disappearance of the sound.
But there is another sunk icon, this time in pencil gray. I have no idea what this color means, I know red is enemy, green is I screwed up and blue is I am to be shot.

So is the weather killing these ships? Am I next?
And what means this grey color of the sunk ship icon?
Another thought! I am using Commander and have Malfunctions turned on. Is it possible my sudden lack of sea keeping is some problem I am unable to perceive? I have hundreds of hours in SH3 (GW and GWX) and SH4 (TMO) and I have NEVER struggled like this in weather before.

I have seen ships being sunk in a strom, without being fired at.