View Single Post
Old 01-09-22, 02:04 PM   #18
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I was not aware that the order of dsd nodes mattered, but it holds for reflections, visible underwater, statemachine, etc., it doesn't surprise me. So you want to find a known-good Stock ship and copy it. I wonder if the sound doesn't sound, because you "officially" are not aware of the ship sinking if you haven't "targeted" it? Anyway, make a mini-mod and find a known-good candidate to copy the way things are done there over to another "test" ship that doesn't have the sound yet, being careful of ID numbers and conflicts, of which we could hook you up with s7rikeback for a post-editing review of the Node IDs - but anyway, do the linking as in the top picture, where you match the dsd files sound link to a proper "parent" in the dat file, and see if that doesn't do the trick for that one ship, then spread the good cheer (noise) throughout the Sea folder... I can see it now - "JohnzGWX_SinkingSound mod...

After I noticed the sinking sound node in a tanker dat file, I figured that is exactly what I'd do; add it to those ships that don't have it and make a mod out of it, though with the myriad of ships out there, each person would have to make their own.
So I did add it to the C2, whipped up a mission, and tested it. Nothing. So I tried the C3 which does have the node. Nothing. Other ships do make the sound. Others do not even with the node.
Also, after I noticed the lock being required (!?) to hear the sound even with a node equpped ship I experimented with that aspect (lock or not).
Long story short, all that is needed is a quick lock; no id nor target data via the lock is required and you can even just do a quick lock/unlock and the sound/view works.
But without that quick lock/unlock, no view, no sinking sound regardless of the ship.
So it would appear something tied to the locking holds a key.
I'm trying to mimic the AOD function that had ship sinking sounds when one was submerged and had sunk a ship.
I've got it working with SH3 but because in SH3 unlike AOD, the sound incorrectly from a "reality" standpoint plays whether one is submerged or surfaced, one has to experiment with the Scufundare vapor.wav range a little so one doesn't hear the sound on the surface when possible.
Also unlike AOD, the sound plays whether your boat sunk a ship or it sunk for some other reason. I.e, another boat sunk a ship, weather damage, etc.
But adjusting the range helps with not hearing that if needed and I've got it working as well as it can in my installs.