View Single Post
Old 01-26-22, 09:59 AM   #5202
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Well, for first time ever in TMO, a submerged enemy AI sub got me with torpedoes. In development and testing, I had some close calls over 14 patrols in Drum 1942-1945 and other careers, but contact with them is still rare overall but this time. Usually was warned by sound man even if on surface, but with new sub sensors in next release , the hydrophones are not quite so effective on surface (they were a bit too effective , sub running at 20 knots and picking up sound contacts at long range lol)

Departed Pearl Harbor on Dec 9, 1941 at 1300 course 255 10 knots in USS Nautilus SS-168 (Subsim Donation Narwhal).

December 10, 1941

0000 Navigator reported position at 20-49 N 159-38 W 110 NM SW of Pearl Harbor.

Cruising on the surface at 10 knots course 255 in clear conditions with quarter moon astern, no fog, I was on the bridge, preparing to go below for the evening what BOOM! Large explosions rocked the boat, screen turned white momentarily due to splash of water. Reports of casualties and severe damage poured in.

Engine noises ceased, hull damage reported at 75 percent (lol should be higher, one of thus SH 4 things though) All diesel engines destroyed or severely damaged, large fuel leak. three bridge lookouts dead, one KIA. All engine rooms crew dead or severely injured. Heavy flooding in engines and control room. Sub going low in water.

(to have boat sink ordered a dive, working on a damage model where boat will sink from surface in such situation)

Listened on hydrophones and heard a submerged sub bearing 100 closing, also heard other torpedoes in water. Hull soon sunk below crush depth with such heavy hull damage.

Unfortunately, I had the external cam off as usually do, so no screenshots.
Bubblehead1980 is online Report Post
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote