View Single Post
Old 06-11-13, 07:57 AM   #1
in_vino_vomitus
XO

Downloads: 137
Uploads: 0
Default Hydrophones only, course speed and position.

Disclaimer: I'm not arrogant enough to believe that I've found something new or that I'm doing this better than anyone else. I've looked for info on here so's I can improve this technique. So far the only thing I've found is a PDF of a navy TMA manual that scares the stuffing out of me with mathematical formulae. This is as much an appeal for info as it is an offer to share....

So. I am a long way still, from being good at this, I'm not saying otherwise, but my determination to play the game out from day 1, plus my lemming-like attraction to enemy ordnance, means I spend most of my game time minus radar. A problem for me therefore, was to locate targets using nothing but hydrophone data.

It's pretty easy to head towards a sound contact at speed until you pick it up visually, and it's pretty easy to do the 4 bearings thing from a static position. What I wanted was a way to head towards the target and calculate its vital statistics on the move, so that by the time I acquired it visually I pretty much had a firing solution.

I couldn't get the hang of the four bearings method. not consistently enough to make it worthwhile anyway. Eventually I downloaded MOBO [by the way, there needs to be an option to buy someone a beer on here. There are a few people who've earned them....]

OK - so using MOBO I've come up with a method to calculate the course speed and position of a target from a moving sub. I'd say it's moderately accurate. It means that without radar, by the time you have a visual on the target, you already have most of the information you need for a solution. I have on occasion, had this info worked out before acquiring the target on radar.

Anyway, as I said, I'm not arrogant enough to think that no-one else has done this first, and I'm aware that even if that was the case, it probably wouldn't be of much interest. BUT...... If anyone knows of any info on here that would help me improve this, I'd really appreciate a pointer. If anyone wants some more info I'd be happy to share. The only reason I haven't gone into detail is that it's finicky in places and pictures would work better and even with pics it would mean a lot of typing.
1.5 Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
1.5 OTC Realistic Scopes for TMO
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v2_0_SH4
Improved Stock environment v3_TMO&RFB
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO_Alternate_JS_Radar_performance
TMO17_19_different_smoke
in_vino_vomitus is offline   Reply With Quote