View Single Post
Old 02-27-24, 04:54 PM   #34
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Haha too true. It's interesting you talked about the designer, as that is what came to mind reading markus' post.

They're traps in both the literal and figurative sense, aren't they? Placement is influenced by several things, lay of the land, and the designer's vision of introducing risk/reward to the shot, and also as a way to punish poor play.

You have to think your way around the course. Allow for slope, make good decisions on that risk/reward thing, and use caution when it is called for, and be aggressive when you'll likely get away with it. Sometimes you should be playing to the fat part of the green, and not firing at the flag, or laying up on a par five, hitting one-iron instead of driver, and this sort of thing.

Good golf is about scoring low, but a big part of that is avoiding calamity. A bogey here and there is OK, but doubles and triples will kill your round. Sometimes you just catch a super unlucky break, or a hole is very hard, but usually these big scores are a result of gambling on the reward and getting the risk.

The putting in this game is really good. I've played every golf game I think down the years, starting with some on a 386. Very rudimentary, especially compared to 2K23. And I like this putting best of all of them. It takes practice, but you get the hang of it. A game like this is all about practice, repetition skills. The more you play the lower you'll go.

2K23 added both the skills and archetypes that we didn't have in 2K21. These will make a difference too, and if you stick with it and play a lot you'll fill these out pretty quickly.

It also did away with equipment brands giving different performance. Now all brands are just cosmetic, and performance was shifted in to the fittings mechanic. If you upgrade these over time it will make the ball go farther, more control over spin and that sort of thing, so worth pursuing. A fully upgraded driver is worth at least 30 yards off the tee as an example. That player is hitting a shorter iron in to the green and so it all cascades through the hole. Longer off the tee, shorter iron, closer approach, shorter putt. In theory anyway, so upgrade your clubs as you can.

I'll hop on tonight and play at least a couple rounds so there's a ghost if you want to use it. You have seven days to finish so go at your own pace.