View Single Post
Old 04-27-15, 03:14 PM   #1566
maillemaker
Sea Lord

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0

OK, finally made it through all the pages of this thread.

I really like this mod pack. I have played SH3+GWX for many years now, culminating in 100% realism with no map contacts, and while I have dabbled with SH5 a few times I was always put off by the complexity of the mod soup and even after trying to mod it I could not get into the feel of the game nor the interface.

Now, with the advent of this mod, for the first time the UI of SH5 makes some sense to me.

I very much like the "pop up" officer faces at the bottom center of the screen that allow me to access my traditional SH3 commands (plus some new ones).

The graphics in this game are definitely tremendously better than SH3. Very realistic water, and the damage effects on ships are very cool. Realistic looking fire and smoke. I even saw a hole appear in the side of a ship and you could see into its hold.

Some questions:

1) On the map screen, in SH3 there is nice compass/range wheel that appears around your boat when you zoom in sufficiently. This is useful to get a sense of scale around your boat. Is there anything like this in SH5? Do I have to go to the tactical map to see it? I have not used the tactical map yet.

2) I read somewhere you should not give any promotion points to the torpedoman...is that still true?

3) Do the realism settings accessible while in the bunker still work with this mod installed? Or does the mod counter/disable them? For example, right now I have no external view ability. I would like to turn it on for now to see the sights in this new graphical world.

4) In SH3 electric torpedoes had a range of 5km I think. In SH5 they are 3km. Is this right? Do I have to play games with my torpedoman to have him "supercharge the torpedo" or whatever to get the correct range out of them?

5) The German labels on the damage screen confuse me. I know I can click on them and get an English description down below but I would prefer the damage boxes to be in English (or have English translations below the German word). Is this possible?

6) My men are spotting ships at ranges in excess of 20km when I ask for nearest visible contact. In SH3 the limit was 16km. Is this accurate?

7) On the way back to Kiel after Baltic mission where I had sank two Polish merchants, I came across an S-class sub. I sank it with gunfire. While my mission status showed I had sunk 2 merchants, it still said 0 warship sunk even though it showed in the log that I had sunk the sub. Also the sub never returned fire. Why?

For people following along in the thread here are some things I picked up while reading 100+ pages:

* Random smoke blobs in environment: Known stock bug - no fix.

* When using electric engines with WOS mod, engine speed selection (1-5) does not correspond to the user interface, which shows one speed lower than selected. However, engine RPMs reflect actual selected speed. This is a known issue.

* Ships viewed at long range appear partially submerged in the water. Known issue.

Steve
maillemaker is offline   Reply With Quote