View Single Post
Old 11-06-06, 06:32 PM   #89
Cue-Ball909
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I think I have you beat. I bought the game several months ago and played for a short bit before putting it on hold for the spring and summer. I finally got back into it about a week ago. I clean installed XP, SH3, and decided to give Grey Wolves a shot. I started out in '40 at Wilhemshaven and set a course for the open sea. I set speed at 1/3rd and turned time compression to 4X or so. I didn't get far before my sub inexplicably took horrendous damage and sank without warning. I couldn't figure out what the heck happened, then I remembered that GW models mines. That was about a 10 minute career.

I started a new career in '40 and was also at Wilhems. I was ordered to patrol AM19 so headed northwest towards Scapa Flow. I got about halfway there and found a lone medium cargo. I setup the perfect 90* AOB shot, figured out my firing solution, had three tubes ready to fire, etc. Only one problem...Germany wasn't yet at war with GB. I figure that I went to this much trouble, I might as well go through with it anyway. The cargo ship is about 20 seconds away from crossing into my line of fire when I get the radio message that all British ships are now targets. I fire all three torps. One misses (dunno how that happened), one dud, one hit to stern. It must have been a critical hit though because that sucker blew up and sunk in about 2 minutes. I'm feeling pretty proud of myself and continue my course to Scapa. I get about 3/4 the way there when I get a message that an enemy ship has been spotted (time compression was on). I "maintain orders" but by the time I turn off time compression there's a destroyer 600m away firing at me. I crash dive and try to slink away as two of his friends come to help. I get into a good position and take out the first ship with a stern torpedo then end up hitting bottom trying to get away from depth charges (~45m deep seas). I eventually end up sitting on the bottom with damaged diesels and a flooded battery compartment. Four destroyers took turns depth charging me and eventually my ship flooded. So much for my proud moment sinking that medium cargo.