View Single Post
Old 01-10-23, 09:06 PM   #703
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

15 October 1943
Cargo ship convoy devastated by B-25s and Beaufighters flying from recently captured airbases, announcing the end of easy transits through the Celebes Sea

Sulu Sea
USS Finback torpedoed and sank one Std-C class (converted) tanker (2900 tons) in a convoy approaching the north coast of Mindanao.

On the opposite end of the island chain between the Philippines and Borneo, USS Narwhal torpedoed and sank an Aden-class cargo ship (4875 tons) carrying artillery.

Marshall Islands
After intermittent sightings by PBYs, an enemy light cargo ship was hunted down by a pair of my destroyers and sunk at Roi-Namur.

Celebes Sea
We flew a morning and and afternoon strike against a convoy of cargo ships (and at least one troop transport) in the Celebes Sea. Strike 1 was 16 Beaufighters and 15 B-15Gs:
xAKL Mitsu Maru #3, Bomb hits 10, and is sunk
xAK Tosei Maru, Bomb hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAKL Shinnan Maru, Shell hits 4, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAKL Hinode Maru, Shell hits 5
xAK Tatsuho Maru, Shell hits 3, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAK Neikai Maru, Shell hits 3
xAK Sanuki Maru, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires
xAK Kurohime Maru, Shell hits 4
xAK Peking Maru, Bomb hits 5, and is sunk
xAP Asama Maru, Bomb hits 3, on fire

Raid 2: 16 Beaufighters, 6 B-25G
xAKL Hinode Maru, Shell hits 9, Bomb hits 10, and is sunk
xAK Kuroshio Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAK Uyo Maru, Shell hits 4, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAK Kyosei Maru, Bomb hits 6, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Kurohime Maru, Shell hits 1
xAK Nissho Maru, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Neikai Maru, Shell hits 3

I'd call that 8 ships sunk.

Burma
B-24 strikes on Rangoon hit and damaged a troop transport (Kitano Maru) which I'm pretty sure is the same one that's been getting bombed from weeks ago. A second strike hit it 3 more times--that really should be enough to put it down permanently.

CENTPAC
Avenger raids on Saipan got a George on the ground and caused light facility damage.

The KB has apparently backed off from the Mariannas after the supporting land-based aircraft losses yesterday.

Strategic Picture
Between yesterday and today, the enemy had a tanker convoy hit by aircraft trying to get to Japan sneaking along the coast of Luzon, two ships torpedoed by subs trying to move into or approach routes through the Philippines, and another convoy hit by an airstrike south of the Philippines. It's really looking like there's just not a lot of space left to get ships through, and the more I lock these routes down with aircraft, the denser my submarine coverage gets in the space the aircraft aren't patrolling.

Reinforcements
DE Acree arrives at Eastern USA
DE Doneff arrives at Eastern USA
APD Noa arrives at Balboa
6th PG/26th PRS arrives at Eastern USA