View Single Post
Old 03-05-09, 04:50 PM   #92
2ndBestKiller
Seaman

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

ok then will give my humble oppionion to some of the entries.

Today: Riding the waves by Tordo

the first two scenes are really amazing with this romtantic and warm sunrise (or sunset who knows) and the typogrphy you used (moving text). If there is any complain I would say that the very first scene is too static, some movement would have been great, but it gets better with the beach scene, which gives that amazing view towards the glaring sun. That was the best part of the whole movie imo.
The next transitions was pretty cool and went good with the music, I also liked the camera setting at this point, only complaint from my point would be the font of the text that doesnt quite fit with the font you used for the starting credits but ok thats just me.
Next scene: the brownish colorfilter ... well ... I dont know about that one, maybe you had a certain intention with it, but I didnt quite get it. It just seems to be out of place with the next scene being in color again. Similar things go for the camera placement. It didnt look too good to me in this scene, especially compared to the ones before, you didnt get the feeling of speed or being in a storm.
In the next scene you tried to give a way more intense feeling of "riding the waves" by placing the camera at the frint of your sub, what helped a lot to improve the scene. Complaint: the camera seemed a little bit too static again, some movement to the front could have brought some more dynamic into the shot, especially the first one in which you see a part of the bridge.
The next shoots are pretty good, I'm not sure if your sub was going full ahed, it seemed a bit slow, but if its not going faster thats not your fault.
The part with the screw was a good idea but again it lacked some dynamic, I guess a different shot in a different angle could do wonders, but its ok the way you did it, just space for improvement.
I liked the shot where you see the bow of the sub "cutting" through the waves, that was a good shot.
For the next shot... I'm not sire but is the sub not moving? It seems that way^^, ot its at least very slow, what is contrary to the scene before and after that one, where it is moving quiete fast. For the next shot you did something very good: camaer movement^^ , its a very dynamic shot, I liked it a lot, gives the feeling of an endless ocean and freedom, especially with the music in the backround, good shot.
Same goes for its successor, which calms down the speed (now you need the static camera, that was very good^^), again it created a good atmosphere (and I liked the seagulls, never seen that before, very nice). Pretty much the same goes for the next scene, only comlpaint here are jumps you editied. If the scene is too long just cut it away completely and bring something new, change the camera position. I think it wasn necesarry to see the whole sub going by, should have splitted it up into two scenes.
The seagulls, again, were awesome, very nice shot. The camera posiotion when the sub was going to dive was good, but again some more movement would have been great (camera going up or down or sideways, or zooming).
Then again, I wanst sure if your submarine was standing still underwater, but I guess, what doesnt make too much sense with it moving in the two fkanking scenes.
The shot from the insdie of the sub were very good, great camera movment, the opacity of the above layer wasbt perfect all the time, sometimes the changes happened to fast and you could see the backround too much for my taste, but overall good work here.
Now we get to something I to wrong all the times as well. Showing of the the enemy ships in a cool and dramatic way. I know its freaking difficult, but I have to criticise it anyway^^. It didnt seem that those ships are enemies, especially because they werent introduced properly. They just randomly appear. Later you have a scene were oyu look through the periscope while its sinking, you should have used it here to make clear that those ships are enemies. Biggest problem might have been the music at this point, I would have changed it to something a little bit darker.
Its like you are celebrating the death of those people, with this actually pretty cheerful music (and isnt that ship supposed to be a passenger ship -.-). Also no camera movement again, which is crucial for a scene like that. I mean torpedos, explosions, sinking ship, people dying. It all seems pretty unmotivated and as if you just put it in for the hell of it. In my oppinion the worst seen of the whole movie, not entierly bad, but compared to the rest pretty weak.
The first dynamic shot in this scene came when you had this cool camera shot where you see the waving flag and the sinking ship (I didnt like the zoom here but thats taste).
The shoots of the sinking ship were good and somehow rembered me of Titanic (which I think is a good movie^^), but again the music didnt fit. It would have really saved the whole part of this movie if you changed it some melancholic, dark, violin like sort of music or similar.
Something wierd: The ships sinks while the moon is going up and the next scene shows the other ship at a beautifull sunset (very good scene).
The part in which you can see the camera at the front of the ship is really good as well, I especially liked the panorama (same goes for the very last part where the sub is returning to its harbour), but it was too short and the next scene, which looks good, was too long.

Overall and if you take out the somehow unmotivated passanger ship attack, it was one of the best SH movies I've every seen. It was very atmospheric and had some great shots. At the beginning you really used the music flow and created a good cooperation between music and video. Sometimes I missed some dynamic and even if the shoots were very good it was a pitty to see the pontential the scene would have had.
The movie suffered from keeping the same music track until the end. Next time change it, or keep this wonderfull flow going and abandon any attacking scenes. And as I said, some more introduction to who and why you shoot would be good.

Other than that, great movie!

I hope you liked that little review of mine and maybe you can learn something for the next time, because I'm really looking forward seein more of you. If you improve some the things I mentioned, you would have the talent to create something incredible, keep it going.

Ok, I will do another review in Mr. Flecks movie due to its popularity among you guys and after that I will only do another review if you wish me to so so (dont expect it be that long, since its some work and I dont have too much time this weekend, but I really liked this one, so I decided to make that review a little bit more indepth)

cheers

Last edited by 2ndBestKiller; 03-05-09 at 05:00 PM.
2ndBestKiller is offline   Reply With Quote