View Single Post
Old 05-02-14, 05:40 PM   #132
Sinkmore
Shore leave

Downloads: 129
Uploads: 0
Default Thanks, 8 yrs later

Great demonstration - thanks! It's still helping skippers find targets, 8 yrs after the OP, which says something about Subsim and the SH community. Pretty amazing, really.

It's great to see it done with proper geometry. But I must boastfully say, I've always done it by guesstimation (pretty new to SH 3-4, but played endless SH2 back in the day), and I was able to guess the convoy's track in the original example within 1-2 degrees in 3 seconds just by eyeballing. With the initial, given speed and heading info being so vague (+/- 12.5 degrees heading, +/- 50% speed...), I figure eyeballing is usually good enough. I've missed my share of intercepts, though, (probably by "overthinking," non-methodically), so I will give this method a try and see if it gets me more intercepts.

In a way, doing it by math will be EASIER than eyeballing and guesstimating - less stress about whether it's a good course etc. And the map tools are fun to play with. So I will try this, and I will enjoy it more when I hear screws closing slow at 270, on schedule.

Again - Thanks!
Sinkmore is offline   Reply With Quote