View Single Post
Old 12-11-09, 04:53 AM   #19
kgsuarez
Planesman

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0

I have looked into that remake myself and I have even been in email correspondence with the developer. It looks like a promising project and I am faithful that it will be completed at some point. But...

I don't particularly care for it, for several reasons:

1) The author won't release the source code. And, while it is his right to do whatever he wants with his code, I just think its ridiculous to put work into a project like that and release it as simply "freeware." If you are not planning on making money off of a piece of software I really think you should just release the source-code along with it. Seriously. To me, the notion of "freeware" is a hideous and detrimental notion blocking the path to technical advancement. This is just the manifestation of my ridiculous and overly pious open-source ideals, but I just can't help it.

2) It will only run on Windows. (This is very closely related to the above rant, and is in fact a rant itself!)

3) Take a look at this screenshot. Why are there indications next to some of the units? "Cruising?" "Crazy Ivan!?" No thank you, I'd rather deduce such information through other means. Since when is this genre about spoon-feeding us info on targets?

4) I think I like good old RSR just fine. Sure, it has shortcomings just like any other game. But overall its pretty good. And with the proper software you can run it perfectly on just about any platform these days. (Although, I do have plans to make a RSR clone someday, with all the little improvements I'd like to see.)

Okay, now I know I was a little rough. But that's just the way I feel about it.

And, as far as the graphics thing goes... It doesn't phase me either way.

Last edited by kgsuarez; 12-11-09 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Replaced screenshot with a link instead.