View Single Post
Old 05-05-18, 09:23 PM   #11
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

I've used it before, installed it into a Virtual Machine on my Athlon X2 5600 when I was running Fedora 20, that was 0.3.something.
I also recall booting it off of the Live-DVD.

I tried again running my FX8350 when I had Fedora 23 or 24, again in a Virtual Machine.

Based on everything I've read...

ReactOS is a "binary clone" of Windows XP.

I did install Command and Conquer "The First Decade" collection.

The launcher program would install and run.
The games would install, but complained about the lack of a "GPU", and as a result, would not launch.

Which is not surprising. As I set the Virtual Machine to emulate a basic PCI/VESA-type video card. Since the CPU can only do software rendering.

I would need to check again.
First, by installing one of my older ATI HD6750s, then setup a GPU-passthrough.
(HD6750 did have Win-XP drivers, I don't think my R7/R9s have XP drivers.)
Heads up: to do this, you need 2 video cards/keyboards/mice, or make your "host" machine "headless" (i.e. no monitor).

I grabbed a 0.4.something a while back, I think I'll give it another try, as soon as I have time to setup the VM software.

I wouldn't expect ReactOS to recognize any hardware that XP does not.
If it is a "clone" of an older OS, then I would expect it to behave like the older OS.

Barracuda

P.S. I do recall reading about an older W95/98 clone. Then switching to working on ReactOS, which is XP.
Keep in mind, to "write" the code "different" from Windows XP, but keep it functioning the same at the Binary (compiled) level, is not easy.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote