View Single Post
Old 06-28-14, 01:10 PM   #4638
Zosimus
XO

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

16 March 1940. I am back in Wilhelmshaven without incident. I did everything the same on this mission as I did on the previous ones, but the tonnage is lower. I only sunk 31,158 tons. Part of the problem was the weather. For 8 days I shadowed three different cargo ships with no torpedoes while waiting to use the last 80 rounds of my deck gun on one of them. Sadly the gale force winds continued and when I switched to a fourth cargo ship only to find her neutral, I threw in the towel. As soon as I got back into Wilhelmshaven the winds died down to a peaceful 3 knots. How annoying.

I was awarded 4 u-boat badges, a painful reminder of the four men killed during patrol 4. I promoted Wolf Steinmeier and August Krüger for their fine work in handling the boat's engines and awarded both the iron cross.

I called in every favor I had, talked to every person I knew, but despite my fine record I was denied the transfer to U-103, a fine IXB that will be launching soon. It will be captained by Viktor Schütze, who is a fine officer. I wish him well and will soon be launching once more in U-48.
Zosimus is offline   Reply With Quote