View Single Post
Old 06-23-23, 08:18 PM   #5556
Imarider
Mate

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The thing to do if you're going to set a group to loop is to set to the time period of the layer, such that 41a runs from November 1, 1941 to February 28, 1942, which is 120 or 121 days (yes, the game does do leap years), or 2904 hours (174,240 minutes). The 42a runs for a year, so 365 days, or 8760 hours (525,600 minutes). Those should be your minimums, so that you do not generate more than one of any given group during the run of the layer. Of course, in some places, it wouldn't hurt to have a couple patrols running about a harbor, but if you notice, there are multiple patrols that do already run through some areas... You should not notice a difference in performance. It would be basically the same, since the unit is tracked in the database until you come within spawn range, and it is then generated in 3D. Similarly with the docked ships. You should not have more than one spawning per layer. That was the reason we split the Jap_HarborTraffic file into separate "layers" of 41a, 42a, 42b, 43a, 44a, 44b, just like most of the other files. For the next release, we are doing similar with the US_HarborTraffic file. Doing such eliminates (if done correctly ), multiple spawns occupying the same space.

As for unchecking the DockedShip=true flag, that would allow some of the PC type craft to come after you. We used to have some set that way, but not very many. They have a tendency to wander off on their own afterwards, and will travel about the globe, actually traveling through the polar ice caps, rounding the world in perpetuity... ~THAT~ will adversely effect the game efficiency, and eventually cause a CTD from having so many ships driving around on their own volition. You definitely want to avoid that. You can however, set a ship with waypoints, but have it set to zero (0) knots where you place it. I cannot remember, but you might have to set the first waypoint to zero also, else the ship will average between the zero at origination, and whatever the first waypoint is... I cannot remember that detail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
good question.

some modders do as you suggest however the game forces an end point for a group such as you are referring.

so...whether a modder loops a group to retrace its steps or just sets on a one-way trip, it must end somewhere.

another factor is that the game keeps time from an absolute date point, like 9/1/1939 or something similar. so, when a modder defines a group, he must also define the date range of the spawn, the max number of ships the group can contain, the max number of spawns that the group can make, the speed per waypoint (think on that), the spawn rate of each member-ship of of the group and a few more qualities that i cannot remember at this point. the time-date-keeping will drive modders crazy, especially when they attempt to re-create a historical setting such as the Battle of the Coral Sea or Midway, or Doolittle's raid, etc.

so, in the end, it is faster/better/easier for a modder to create a group, mark out the waypoints in either a one-way trip or a round trip and let it go.

does that help?

Sure, that help. If be based on file 41a_Jap_HarborTraffic.mis from Nippon Maru, that i'm looking now, docked ships have "Repeat interval" = 900 hours and "Max group instances created" = 1, and there are "Entry date" and Exit date", then, how i understand, 900 hours is time which enough for one patrol and each time you start new patrol the game create new base with those ships, so they don't overlap. Am i right or no? But, what i don't understand, why ships which close to harbors, not those that travel far, have about 24 hr repeat interval and many instances created instead just have then the same interval and 1 instance? If there are no overlapping with docked ships, for example, if you have patrol between dates on two files, then "Exit date" delete group (or ship) and load new one, and no need to delete it other way? I understand that for far routs it useful, but for ships just protecting harbours is it need, if not performance problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
...the game forces an end point for a group...
Or just an end point is needed becouse otherwise the game or save will crash?

Last edited by Imarider; 06-23-23 at 10:00 PM.
Imarider is offline   Reply With Quote