View Single Post
Old 04-12-07, 02:09 AM   #6
Mraah
Engineer

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beery
Could it be that they wanted to restrict the radar based on the sub's prop noise and instead what they did was restrict it based on the heading?
Berry,

Good question . But prop noise wouldn't restrict radar, mast obstruction would.

It does bring up another point though ... In my original post I mentioned that there was a 21'st entry found, only with BearingMin/Max info. Perhaps this is the heading restriction the program supposed to read and compare it with other parameter's. I dunno.

I think their intention was to simulate the actual beam width.
The SJ H.P. beam width:
Horizontal 9 degrees.
Vertical 29 degrees.

This coincides somewhat with the ElevationMin=357.5 Max=30, SweepArc=9.

Elevation Min/Max numbers for even the sonar show 0 and 360, which makes sense, but not observed as a bug since it covered 360 degree's of the sub heading.

Radar # 16,17, and 18 have bearing restrictions, which, if I'm right, means that three boat classes had mast assembies that blocked radar coverage, not because of prop noise. Both the SJ and I-SJ was located on the front on the mast assembly so as it rotated through, say between 150-210, it might have stopped radiating because the lobe would interfere with the SD (jamming) or reflected energy could "burn" the watch crew!! . The SJ on the earlier boats might not have had a problem. I'd have to physically look.

It's really a mystery about what's going on.

Rob
Mraah is offline   Reply With Quote