View Single Post
Old 01-14-17, 06:51 AM   #1
AlfredoZ
Swabbie

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0
radar Keeping safe distance

Hi,

I play SH5 with WOS mod since a few days (BTW thx to the community for making the game playable). I played SH since the very first edition in the early nineties, but not excessible. When I purchased SH4, I experienced an overheating of my GFX card and my screen went black after several minutes of gameplay, so I stopped playing it. SH5 was bugged so bad, that I gave up after a few days. But now I made another approach on it with Wolves Of Steel and... YES! Finally it's fun!!!

What I wonder about is, if there's some kind of rough estimate for the distance I have to keep from my target to not be seen.
I guess it depends on if I'm surfaced or submerged with periscope, if it's day or night and how fast I'm going. But can one roughly say, if that and that is the case, keep X km distance?

I experienced several times, that I spotted smoke on the horizon, but couldn't recognize if it's friend or enemy from a distance of more than 10 km. So I had to get closer. As the ship travels at a speed f.e. of 7 kts and eventually moves away from me in some kind, I would run out of batteries before I could recognize the flag, if I would go all the way submerged. So I have to face a surfaced solution to outrun it. And here's the problem. How far away should I stay to not being detected?
There was also a situation, where the enemy saw my attack scope at night at approx. 4 km distance by night. I was going like 6 kts, but hey... 4 km??? It's a damned stick and it was dark... I barely could see the ship's silhouette, so that confused me a bit.

I know of Otto Kretschmer, who even sneaked deck awash into enemy convoys at night and fought them from the inside of the convoy without being spotted. So there must be a rough rule for it.

Would appreciate any info on the distance I've to keep to stay safe of being spotted.

Last edited by AlfredoZ; 01-14-17 at 08:45 AM.
AlfredoZ is offline   Reply With Quote