View Single Post
Old 04-17-22, 03:48 AM   #816
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
during WWII the boat's medical resource was rarely an officer. if you get one in SH4 it is because the crew definition parameters were set to allow the assignment of that special ability to an officer.

i concur with Wreckless. a Master Engineer can help fix damage, especially the serious damage, however, contrary to the Ubi documentation, i have never seen one repair a destroyed item. that, my friends, is an Ubi prevarication.

i disagree. having a Sharpshooter available makes your deck gun much more effective at finishing cripples.
and...a Theoretician provides leadership and can change the performance of the crew members, especially at critical times.

Yes, UBI , likely because failed to do research/just did not care made it where officers get the medic ability, looks like can be changed, so plan to do that and rename the ability as pharmacists mate, if do not delete it all together, find it a bit "gamey".

Actually, the Master Engineer ability can repair some "destroyed" items. I've surfaced with periscope heads, torpedo tubes, etc at 100 damage and once his ability is active (in TMO update he has to be placed in the DC compartment for ability to be active) the destroyed equipment , if he can repair it, will appear on the damage priorities list, take him off, will usually remove from the list.

Sometimes, even the Master Engineer can not repair things. A lot of it has to do with if the equipment is set as "destructible" in the .zon files. By default a lot of equipment is not actually set to destructible, as in the file under destructible most were set to "No". If 100 percent damaged, they are considered destroyed but actually are just inoperable and only the Master Engineer can fix them. If set to destructible, I've noticed he sometimes can not repair things, it depends. Torpedo tubes are one of mast common issues...if go to external view and notice the outer doors missing and/or (if have external view off) when hit the "Q" button to open/close tubes, do not hear any noise, means tube was destroyed and typically is beyond repair at sea. Then again, i've surfaced and found tube inoperable, door missing, and I put Chief with special ability on the DC party and that tube gets repaired, magically the outer door will reappear lmao. That is why I am considering removing the ability, its a bit gamey, too gamey at times.

Like I mentioned, I do appreciate having a more reasonable pump time when place him on the DC party, absurdly slow pump speed has always been a issue for SH 4, so my hope is to isolate that ability, I've fond some interesting entries in the files, will test soon. If comes out like I believe it will, then will keep him around to be put on DC party when need to pump out water in emergencies.

Yes, it can help improve shots but sharpshooter is a gamey feature, having one magic crew member improved that. I improved accuracy and max firing range of sub gun crews in the mod, and if "train" them i.e. hold actual gunnery drills say when leaving port en route to midway etc , get the crew experienced, player will notice when come into real action, gunnery is better at first engagement and will improve. Another key is to have one designated gun crew, pull them from other compartments when conduct a gun action, so they are gaining experience anyways vs just sitting idle in the gun slots most of the time. IMO, this is a better way to obtain a accurate gun crew than having one "magic" crew member. Submarines were not great gunnery platforms, so don't want them being too accurate in the sim.

Theoretician, while helpful, is a bit too gamey as well, in my opinion.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote