View Single Post
Old 10-29-22, 11:10 AM   #5101
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
I actually bought the U-Boat missions DLC for SH4 from the steam page, upgraded my way from v1.3 to v1.4 of the base game prior to that using this amazing community's help, and successfully installed everything needed for the mod. When I attempt to start a new American campaign, upon loading into the mission (NOT the pre-mission screen where you can upgrade your crew and all that, the game runs that no problem) it finishes loading but immediately goes to black screen freeze before loading me into my boat. An error message pops up as I mentioned previously and it closes my game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
I think maybe unchecking Volumetric Fog in your graphics options might help. I don't think it is used by most SH4 players though I could be wrong. Its kind of wonky. Or that particular file could be missing for some reason. Open up your game install and navigate to that file and see if its there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
There is another change that may fix the black screen problem. Others know more about than I do (Propbeanie!), but I think you could try this:

Go to the game execution folder, find SH4.exe and right click on it. Select Properties (at the bottom of the box), then click on the Compatibility Tab at the top of the Properties box. Then click on the "Change High DPI Settings", and check the box for "Override High DPI Scale..."

If that box is checked already, uncheck it. If it is not checked, then check it. Sounds confusing, but one of those two changes will eliminate the black screen.

Wish I could be more clear, but it won't hurt to try it! Good luck.

That's the picture I usually use of what torpedobait is referring to, Brooksie. What J0313 is referring to is also correct. The volumetric fog will make your crew look like ghosts topside, and sometimes inside the boat also, besides causing other video glitching issues. Be sure you also do not have the vsync locked, the bottom choice in the right-hand column of the Graphic Setting screen should also be cleared. However, that error message you are getting: "Data/Shaders/VolumetricFog/VolumetricFogPS.fx" is often a difference between the v1.3 and v1.5 of the game. Another similar one concerns the differences between the "black" dds files that are different between v1.4 and v1.5 of the game, so be certain you are using the correct Steam start for the game, which would be the U-Boat Missions start... If Mad Mardigan or another Steam user stops by, they can point you in the right direction about the Steam version of the game. I have SH3 and SH5 from Steam, but not SH4. I have a Ubisoft SH4 and SH5, and I have disk-based SH3 and SH4, so I do not have a "complete Library" of any, just too many of each... - of course, I have the various games peppered across 4 different computers... - Otherwise, you are missing portions of DirectX v9.0c dll files that the Silent Hunter series of games needs to run the 3D portion. Those aused to automatically installed with the Steam version of the game, but my most recent install of SH5 did take me to the MS Download site to download DirectX v9.0c, so maybe the Steam install made it a separate choice again?? I dunno... but you do need a portion of the DirectX v9.0c library file set. That does NOT overwrite anything in your current Windows install, it just adds to it... if that's what the trouble is...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote