View Single Post
Old 11-27-19, 05:46 PM   #162
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The conning tower explains a ~lot~... while there is no renown payment required for the radar, there is a renown payment required for the "upgraded" conning towers. You have the pre-war conning tower, before the shears had their wrap removed, and the "cut-out" for the rear AA. Look at the pictures I posted about the same boat, but Single Mission configured for June of 1942. The shears only have the framework, and there is an AA platform. That is the improved conning tower, first "upgrade". I use that term loosely, since like a submarine "upgrade", it has to be paid for with a good patrol score and commander ranking. You cannot have a patrol that is below "Average", and especially early, and it is best if you have the first four of them in the "Good" category, which is above 800 renown. If you don't get above that, you are then not eligible for a boat or conning tower upgrade, and hence will not get the SJ radar - ever - until you get a new conning tower. See the "Of Refits.pdf" in the Support folder, which is a copy of one of Ducimus' posts from years ago. This is the reason for us putting extra objective assignments in the "Early" patrols...
I did read the refit.pdf and your comments. However, reality does not jibe with what I read. Take a look at this:
Took command of GATO 1/19/43, with starting Renown = 5960.
Spent 1600 Renown on Radars; (Highway Robbery)
Renown to start 1st GATO Patrol = 4260.
5/10/43 Ended 2nd Patrol with Renown = 5245, earning 885;
Spent 0 Renown, with 5245 to start 2nd Patrol
6/2943 Ended 3rd Patrol with Renown = 6585, earning 1340;
Refused new Boat;
Spent 960 to get new torpedos, with 5625 to start 4th patrol.
8/23/43 Ended 4th Patrol with Renown = 9,725 (had a BIG one!) earning 3,283!
Spent 960 on torpedos, leaving 8765 to start 5th Patrol
11/8/43 Ended 5th Patrol with Renown = 10,352, earning 1,587;
Spent 960 on torpedos, leaving 9,592 to start 6th Patrol.
12/24/43 Ended 6th Patrol with Renown = 11,669, earning 2,077 (another BIG one)
Refused New Boat (2nd Time)
Spent 960 on torpedos, leaving 10,709 to start 7th Patrol.

After 6 patrols, and being offered a new boat twice, I still have not seen a conning tower refit. What does one have to do? If medals mean anything, I was awarded 7 consecutive Navy Crosses, then a Bronze Star, then 5 more Navy Crosses. There has not been one patrol without a medal awarded - 13 patrols; 13 medals.

These are all patrols out of Midway Atoll, mostly with missions around Hokkaido, Honshu, and Taiwan, with a couple of insertions to Guam and Okinawa (that was the Gato's 6th Patrol assignment - ran into 2 IJN TFs on the way back, accounting for the large scores.

I'm going to keep going in this mode, keeping the GATO, until they retire me or give me a refit. But in any case, it does not seem to fit the formula you and the Refit.pdf describe. With respect,

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote