View Single Post
Old 06-04-19, 11:36 PM   #12331
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputterfish View Post
Unfortunately that's not really how it works.. I would take a guess that posting or hosting files with copyrighted content that is being redistributed without permission is against the Subsim terms of service or would be frowned upon.

That's is why it's important to include the same functionality Generic Patcher was providing in that it is initiated by the user except the new autopatcher will not require any user input as VDR has a snapshot that he has already configured which will be restored automatically.
I think you misread the copyright law (but there are specific Subsim rules beside that, yes).

First, "files with copyrighted content", as you say, include all files of the game, not just executables. By modding files and posting them you would infringe the (c), which is wrong and makes no sense if the developer has authorized modding with his game. This 'authorization' is implicit if he makes his files editable. Unless I see a contrary statement made at release in the Eula etc., and even in that case, Ubisoft had to protect their files (binary, and crypted which is easy to do to avoid modifications; failing this would be pure negligence if they intended that the game would never be modified; in this case what counts is the absence of adequate measures or a Eula inclusion by Ubisoft).

In conclusion, what you say would be valid only if a file distribution would allow to run a playable game without previously owning the game - clearly illegal and which is not possible with Subsim mods (or my modlist, or TWoS etc), therefore: I understand that there is NO infringement by publishing a mod with executables or dll's in such a restrictive context. The purpose of file distribution is to make the game playable for the owners and not to 'distribute the game'.

But...Back to the TDW Generic Patcher: With or without automation, it's easy enough to run it, you have to make a lot of clicks, but no need to be an expert...Doing it will take 2 minutes, even if you don't know what you do
But because I listen to what others say, and what you say, I will think twice before foolishly publishing some files. Thank you for your reply!

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 06-05-19 at 12:26 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote